SAE 749 Contamination of Hydraulic Fluid
The level of solid particles in hydraulic fluids may give an indication of fluid and system health. In newly packaged fluids, the number of particles is a measure of product quality. This method determines the level of particulate contamination in hydraulic fluids using a classification system from 0 to 6 which corresponds to ISO 4406 code from 12/9 to 18/15.
The fluid is placed in a laser particle counter and the quantity and size of particles in the fluid are determined and reported.
Note : ISO 4406 gives a greater amount of useful data than SAE 749 and is usually the preferred method.
Sample size: 100 ml
- ASTM D6786 – Particle Count using Automatic Optical Particle Counters
- ASTM F312 – Particulate Contamination (Suggest FTM-3012)
- FTM-3012 – Particulate Contamination by HIAC
- ISO 4406 – Particulate Contamination, by HIAC Particle Counter, ISO Cleanliness Code
- NAS1638 – Particulate Contamination by HIAC
- SAE ARP 598B – Particle Count
- WQTM-611 – Particle Count, BASF Method