ASTM E1131 Compositional Analysis by Thermogravimetric Analysis
Engine oils and other low viscosity lubricants intended for high temperature applications, risk losing lighter components during use. This loss may increase oil viscosity, emissions and oil consumption – causing pollution concerns and decreased oil life. This test determines the percent of light ends in a sample as is required in many specifications.
The sample is weighed, placed in the TGA (temperature controlled microbalance) and brought to the test temperature. The percent weight loss is followed while air or nitrogen is passed over the sample. Reported is the percent weight loss of the sample.
#TGA #Thermogravimetric #Evaporative #E1131 #ASTM
Sample size: 1 g
- API RP 5A3-D – Evaporation Test , Annex D
- ASTM D6375 – NOACK Volatility by TGA (thermogravimetric analysis)
- ASTM E1641 – Decomposition Kinetics by Thermogravimetry (TGA)
- ASTM E1868 – Loss-on-Drying by Thermogravimetry (TGA) for the determination of volatile organic compounds (VOCs)
- ASTM E1868 SCAQMD Rule 1144 – Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC) in Metal Working Fluids – SCAQMD Rule 1144