ASTM D1481 – Density and Relative Density (Specific Gravity) of Viscous Materials by Lipkin Bicapillary Pycnometer
Viscous oils frequently require mass/volume conversions whether they are used as lubricants or in formulations. This method determines density and relative density of viscous oils.
Related pycnometer tests offered by Petro-Lubricant Testing Laboratories:
ISO-2811 "Paints and Varnishes – Determination of Density – Part 1 – Pyknometer Method"
PLTL-90 "Density of Greases and Highly Viscous Liquids by Pycnometer"
For bituminous materials consider ASTM D70 "Density of Semi-Solid Bituminous Materials (Pycnometer Method)"
For medium and low viscosity liquids consider "ASTM D891 Specific Gravity Apparent, of Liquid Industrial Chemicals"
For emulsions and pastes consider ISO 2811 "Paints and Varnishes – Determination of Density – Part 1 – Pyknometer Method"
Sample size: 50 ml
- ASTM D70 – Specific Gravity
- ASTM D287 – Gravity, API @ 60°F
- ASTM D891B – Specific Gravity Procedure B Pycnometer @ 20°C
- ASTM D3238 – Carbon Distribution including D2502 molecular wt. by viscosity
- ASTM D3238 – Carbon Distribution including PLTL-85 molecular wt. by boiling point
- ASTM D4052 – Specific Gravity by Digital Density Meter at one temperature
- ASTM D4052 – Density by Digital Density Meter at one temperature
- ISO 2811 – Density-Grease Pycnometer – need temperature
- PLTL-90 – Density-Grease Pycnometer- specify temperature
- ASTM D1217 – Density by Bingham Capillary Pyconometer – please provide temperature