ASTM D1310 Flash Point and Fire Point of Liquids by Tag Open-Cup Apparatus
The flash point of a substance is the lowest temperature at which vapors of the substance, when exposed to an ignition source, will ignite and quickly self-extinguish. The fire point is the lowest temperature at which a substance, when exposed to an ignition source, will ignite and burn for at least five seconds. This method determines both the flash point and the fire point of a substance. It is for use in samples in which both points are below 163ºC.
The sample is cooled if necessary, placed in the Tag Open Cup Apparatus and slowly heated. The temperatures at which the flash point and the fire point are observed are reported along with the barometric pressure. If you have an anticipated flash point, please let us know the approximate temperature.
Related tests offered by Petro-Lubricant Testing Laboratories:
ASTM D-56 Flash Point by Tag Closed Cup Tester – use this test for low viscosity substances (below 5.5cSt) when only the flash point is of interest. This test is intended for substances with flash points below 93oC
ASTM D-92 Flash and Fire Points by Cleveland Open Cup Tester – use this test for petroleum products other than fuel oil when both the flash point and the fire point are of interest. It is intended for substances with anticipated flash points of 79oC to 400oC;
ASTM D-93 Flash Point by Pensky-Martens Closed Cup Tester – use this test for distillate fuels (including kerosene, heating oil, turbine fuels and biodiesel blends) when only the flash point is of interest. This test is suitable for high viscosity substances, petroleum based liquids that form surface films, and substances that may have small but significant components with low flash points. This test is intended for flash points above 60oC .
Sample size: 100 ml
- ASTM D56 – Flash Point, Tag Closed Cup, -20°C to 110°C
- ASTM D92 – Flash OR Fire Point, Cleveland Open Cup
- ASTM D92 – Flash AND Fire Points, Cleveland Open Cup
- ASTM D93 – Flash Point, Pensky-Martens Closed Cup
- ASTM D3065 – Flammability of Aerosol – Flame Projection
- ASTM D3065 – Flammability of Aerosol – Closed Drum Test
- ASTM D4206 – Burning Point of Liquid Mixtures Using Small Scale Open Cup
- ASTM E659 – Autoignition Temperature – Hot Flame
- ASTM D3065 – Flammability of Aerosol-Tag Open Cup Flash (obsolete see ASTM D1310)