ASTM D92 Flash and Fire Points by Cleveland Open Cup Tester
The flash point is the lowest temperature at which a substance will generate vapors that when exposed to a flame will momentarily ignite and quickly self-extinguish. The fire point is the lowest temperature at which a substance will generate vapors sufficiently dense enough to ignite and sustain burning for at least 5 seconds. In lubricants these values are important for shipping regulations and as an indicator of the safe operating ranges. This test determines the flash point and fire point of petroleum products. It is intended for substances with flash points between 79°C and 400°C.
The sample is placed in the test cup, slowly heated and periodically exposed to a flame. The flash point is recorded and the sample is further heated and periodically exposed to the flame until the fire point is observed. The temperatures are corrected for barometric pressure and reported in °C. Please let us know the anticipated flash or fire point, when available.
Related tests offered by Petro-Lubricant Testing Laboratories:
If only the flash point is of interest consider:
ASTM D56 for low viscosity substances (below 5.5cSt) with anticipated flash points below 93oC
ASTM D93 for high viscosity substances, petroleum based liquids that form surface films, or liquids with flash points from 40°C to 370°C
If both the flash point and the fire point are of interest consider:
ASTM D1310 for flash points below 79°C, high viscosity samples or samples that tend to form surface films
ASTM D92 for low viscosity substances with flash points between 79°C and 400°C.
For the flammability of aerosols consider ASTM D3065.
For the autoignition point consider ASTM E659 or ASTM D2155.
Sample size: 100 ml
- ASTM D56 – Flash Point, Tag Closed Cup, -20°C to 110°C
- ASTM D93 – Flash Point, Pensky-Martens Closed Cup
- ASTM D1310 – Flash Point, Tag Open Cup
- ASTM D2155 – Autoignition Temperature
- ASTM D3065 – Flammability of Aerosol – Flame Projection
- ASTM D3065 – Flammability of Aerosol – Closed Drum Test
- ASTM D4206 – Burning Point of Liquid Mixtures Using Small Scale Open Cup
- ASTM E659 – Autoignition Temperature – Hot Flame
- FTM-352 – Wick Ignition – Efect of Evaporation on Flammability